Thursday, February 17, 2011

Authentic Self



Every bit of writing has a certain voice. I don't mean the kind of style that differs from writer to writer. The same writer can have a different voice for different works. I don't know how to describe it. It's a tone, a spirit or character that pervades every sentence.

I've read that when writing it helps to have a specific person in mind to keep the voice you've chosen consistent. It could be a real person, or a type, or your cat, or you at the age of twelve. Whatever. 

I'm trying to decide who I should be writing to here. I really think I need something at which to direct my words. One flaw I have, which I think many people share, is that I edit myself by imagining what critics would say. We all have those critics: friends, family, teachers, people from our past who have said things before to us, whose taste we know or believe we know, and we can imagine if they read it what they would say. Then we edit our comments to make it 'safe.' 

I really don't want to do that here. I don't want to offend anyone, of course, but I want my authentic self to shine through. I want people who read this to see the real me. I'm not ashamed of who I am, and I have every right to think as I do. 

I think in order to do that I have to direct my words at something specific. But what shall it be? I haven't made up my mind, yet.