Monday, March 28, 2011

My Near Future

I've been mostly housebound for about the last year-and-a-half, and just recently I've taken to enrolling in e-courses. First, there was Mondo Beyondo and Dream Lab, and then, there was Get Your Paint On.

I didn't do all the course assignments. I did just as much as I could do comfortably and still feel like I was getting something for my money.

Now I've enrolled in this course:
http://www.thewordcellar.com/online-course/
I think registration is still open.

It was a tough choice because there are actually a lot of really neat looking e-courses nowadays for painting, drawing, photography, writing, etc. I figured I could use some help with my writing, though, and not in the dry, grammar-precise way that some people teach.

This looks like it should be interesting, and I'm really looking forward to it, although I'm scared as well. I'm scared that I will have a relapse, or things will get crazy here and there will be too much to do, and I'll not be able to complete the assignments (although that fear is mitigated a bit by my 'only do as much as you comfortably can' approach).

I'm afraid I'll sound like an idiot when interacting with fellow students or commenting on their work. I took an online writing course over ten years ago and that was one of my problems. I had to comment on others work and I just didn't know what to say. Time and experience have helped me with this sort of thing. But, quite frankly, it would be odd if I didn't have these sort of fears. It wouldn't be me.

Though I'm still not sure that I'm ready for critical feedback. Part of me wants it because you can't get better if you don't know where you can improve. But part of me says that maybe right now I just need is a little pat on the back. We'll see. I don't even know yet how all that will be handled in this course.

Oh, and another reason for me wanting to take this course is the list of guest speakers, including Brene' Brown.

So, all in all, I'm really excited. {smile}